If you have a child between the age of 2 and 6, you pretty much have experienced some picky eater moments. And I know, these moments are not fun; extremely stressful, since as parents we constantly worried that their children are not being nourished.
But rest assured, they will not starve.
There are a few reasons kids are picky eaters: they just may have sensitive or more than usual amount of taste buds, they are holding out for a better option, there might be peer pressure, or they just don’t like the food.
A Few Tips
- Never keep foods in the house that you don’t want to give the child or something that you know they will ask for in replacement. Kids are smart and want to get their way, so be on step ahead of them.
- Monkey see, Monkey do. Have everyone eat the same meal. Don’t push foods, but do have them on the plate.
- Prepare a veggie appetizer plate for the child to snack on before dinner. Have a dip – bean, salsa or hummus – that they can dip the food into.
- Have the child help prepare meals. You will be surprised at how much this will help.
- Be creative.
- Use small muffin tins or ice cube tray as a plate.
- Suggest they eat a number of pieces of food based on age. For example, the child is 4; then have them eat 4 peas.
- Let them make their own salad: Fill a few glass containers with different salad toppings and place them on the dinner table along with a bowl of lettuce. Let your child serve themselves.
- Go to the library and get some colorful recipe books. Have your child go through it and put post its on the food pages he or she likes.
- Read, Green Eggs and Ham, a lot. And then talk about it; maybe not directly, be subtle.
However, if your child is constantly not eating , not gaining weight, seems to be stressed with eating or completely rejects every single food in the same food group, it is time to visit your doctor. It is probably a phase, but is is always best to have someone on your team who can support you and come up with a more detailed plan perfect for your family.
And for after school snack thoughts, travel over here.