Yes, its true: Kale has a very great publicist. Kale has been all over the place: recipes blogs, pinterest, facebook and every other social media and produce shelf… and I am happy about that.
Kale is good and nutritious. All dark leafy greens are but in general, people tend to stick with only a few of their favorites; however, our bodies need and appreciate a variety of foods to be nutrient charged and fueled, and kale fills in a good void. One of the best things about kale is that it is versatile. You can saute it, eat it raw or even throw it in a smoothie.
Kale Health Tips
- Great fiber content
- High in iron
- Packed with an array of antioxidants ( read my post on free radicals to learn why this is important)
- High in calcium
- Boosting with vitamins a, k, and c
Smoothie: I guarantee your kids will love this drink – click here, Green Smoothie.
The Best Shredded Kale Salad with Pecan Parmesan and Cranberries
For the salad & dressing:
- 2 medium bunches destemmed Lacinato/dinosaur kale, finely chopped (8 cups chopped)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (just eyeball it)
- 1-2 handfuls dried sweetened cranberries, for garnish
For the pecan parmesan:
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1.5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches fine grain sea salt