The spring is the perfect time to get your body clean by making some simple shifts to your everyday life. Many people are unaware of emunctories and their role in supporting the body in eliminating things it does not need. Below is a guide to help you further support your body by enhancing your own emunctories.
What is an emunctory?
An emunctory is an organ or duct that removes or carries waste from the body.
The beauty of emunctories is allowing the body to cleanse out the unwanted elements ( carbon dioxide) or wastes ( stool) in our bodies. The body does this through the skin, urinary, digestive and respiratory systems. Sometime our bodies get a little overwhelmed and need a some help to get the emunctory systems working optimally. Here are a few of my tips:
- There are 2 things I suggest to people to get sweating: one is exercising and the other if getting in a sauna. I personally love doing both and encourage my patients to do both. It maybe tricky to find a sauna ; however, usually one of the local gyms will a have a good clean one.
- We need to drink more water. A few years back, I had a 7 year old patient who was having constant headaches. After careful observations ( and a check with her ophthalmologist) we realized she drank no water. We switched her juice intake to herbal iced tea and water infused with lemons and oranges. Not only did she feel better, she preformed better at everything she was partaking in.
- The kidneys filter the blood of toxins and through urination, they are removed from the body. Drinking more water helps the kidneys out a great deal.
3. Eat more fiber ( and colorful foods)
- The simplest way to get more fiber in your diet is to color your plate. Challenge yourself to add a colorful whole food to every meal. The second way to add more fiber is to add seeds ( flax, hemp, chia) and nuts to your smoothies, cereals, cookies and salads.
- Fiber will bind to toxins in the body and will help them to be eliminated through the digestive system ( stool).
- Take 3 deeps belly breaths and exhale out. This is hard for many as in general, we have a tendency to shallow breath.
- Or if you have more time, try the one minute follow this breathing technique: Breathe in for 5 seconds, Hold your breath for 5 seconds, Release for 5 seconds, Hold for 5 seconds, Repeat
- Deep breathing helps the lungs push out the carbon dioxide that the body has accumulated and it also, calms and centers us.
These four suggestions are simple, easy to implement and can really make a great difference in your health.
Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Get Clean: Part one, click here.
Photo credit: FreeDigiatlPhotos